The ultimate value of the whole body and whole life approach to oral health at Central Park Dental Spa (CPDS) is prevention of problems, and thus of the painful and invasive procedures required to fix them. This means more time spent with the patient in order to understand everything in their life that is affecting their teeth and gums; the use of state-of-the-art technology that improves diagnosis and causes no harm; and education so the patient can see and understand for themselves the state of their dental health, and thus make better and more informed decisions. The result is significantly improved oral health, significantly fewer invasive procedures; happier, less anxious patients; and more beautiful, perfect teeth.
PREVENTATIVE SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Full examination, low radiation radiographs, and cleaning: Dr. Ellis will complete a full examination of your teeth and gums and explain any dental problems you may have, how they can be corrected and how recurrence in the future can be prevented. CPDS uses state-of-the-art, low radiation x-rays and protective lead aprons to ensure your health. Thorough examinations are also performed at each preventive visit to keep track of your progress to complete oral health.
- Scheduled Preventive Visits: Even with effective plaque removal at home, regular preventive visits that include examination and dental cleaning are recommended.
- Oral Cancer Screening: At each visit, Dr. Ellis performs a complete oral cancer screening examination including a check of the tissues of the cheek, floor of the mouth tongue and throat. If anything suspicious is seen, a simple brush test is used to make sure everything is healthy.
- Sealants: To supplement a daily routine of brushing and flossing, CPDS can apply a sealant. Sealants are thin films of a plastic material applied in the grooves on the biting surfaces of your teeth. This coating creates a barrier to the decay causing bacteria in the tiny grooves where your toothbrush can’t reach. Sealants are most often applied in children but can be used in young adults as well.
- Bad Breath / Halitosis treatment: Aside from being a social issue, bad breath can also indicate the presence of oral and systemic disease. CPDS takes problems with bad breath seriously and will undertake a thorough evaluation to determine and eliminate the cause. Once the source of the problem is determined, Dr. Ellis will recommend a specific treatment that often includes special mouth rinses designed to eliminate bacteria and brushing of the tongue.
- Bruxism (night-time tooth grinding): If your jaw feels stiff or if you have difficulty opening your mouth wide, you may be grinding your teeth at night. People with night-time grinding habits can wear away tooth enamel and eventually destroy their teeth requiring crowns and bridges to restore. Often a simple, plastic guard, worn over the teeth at night, can protect them from costly and painful damage as well as relieving head, neck, jaw joint and shoulder pain.
- Sports Dentistry: For people who play contact sports, the goal is to limit injury to both the teeth and jaws. Properly fitted mouth guards are considered essential in sports like football, boxing, martial arts, hockey, basketball, skateboarding and others. Dr. Ellis and CPDS can provide comfortable sports mouth protectors for both adults and children who participate in sports where dental injury is a possibility.